Monday, 26 March 2012 12:40
Dogfish Head Urkontinent bottles coming in mid-AprilWritten by Erin Peters
(Milton, DE) – Urkontinent is a social collaboration of worldwide proportions.
The seed was planted when Dogfish Head Craft Brewery asked beer-loving tech types around the world to suggest ingredients for a new off-centered ale.
More than 100 ideas poured in, and a small team from the brewery (and a few of our beer-loving tech friends) narrowed the list to five: wattleseed from Australia, toasted amaranth from South America, rooibos tea from Africa, myrica gale from Europe and honey from the United States.
The name Urkontinent, a German word for the theory that all of the continents were once connected, is a shoutout to the worldly ingredients and ideas that make up this beer.
“Urkontinent is a valentine to boot-strapping creative entrepreneurs in all kinds of industries all over the world,” says Dogfish Head Founder and President Sam Calagione.
The careful combination of ingredients gives this 8.1% ABV Belgian dubbel notes of coffee and chocolate-covered cherries.
“It’s a complex beer that starts with a ton of mouthfeel, some molasses and roasty notes,” says Sam, “then ends clean and dry.”
Urkontinent, packaged in 750-ml champagne bottles, will be released in mid-April with a suggested price of $11.99-$12.99.
Latest from Erin Peters
- New Realm Brewing Proudly Reveals Plans for its Beltline Location
- LibDib: Beer, Wine & Liquor Distribution, Done Differently
- Craft Beer Buyouts: A Conversation with Former Stone Brewing Brewmaster, Mitch Steele and the Brewers Association's Julia Herz:
- FIGUEROA MOUNTAIN BREWING CO. WINS GOLD IN 2016 WORLD BEER CUP
- Pondering Pairings of Music and Craft Beer at Coachella; La Quinta Brewing Nabs a Big Medal
Login to post comments