Friday, 02 December 2011 09:57
Dogfish releases new Ancient Ale: Ta HenketWritten by Erin Peters
Milton, DE (December 2011) - Ta Henket, the latest addition to Dogfish Head's line of Ancient Ales, rolls out this month.
Inspired by a trip to the Great Pyramids, Dogfish Head Founder & President Sam Calagione created Ta Henket with ingredients and traditions outlined in Egyptian hieroglyphics.
"It was like a Rosetta Stone visit," he says. "That's the first depiction of the brewing process, the birthplace of our vocation."
This earthy liquid time capsule is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile and dom-palm fruit. The spiciness comes from zatar, a mixture of herbs found at a Cairo street market.
To ferment Ta Henket, Sam and friends traveled to a date grove near the pyramids, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian yeast strain.
"It was the strangest picnic I've ever been on," he said.
This 4.5% ABV Ancient Ale goes well with grilled fish, pork chops, roasted vegetables and feta cheese.
Ta Henket is available in 750ml bottles and on draft and will be distributed throughout Dogfish Head's national network.
Latest from Erin Peters
- America’s Small and Independent Brewers Aim to Buy Anheuser-Busch InBev
- New Realm Brewing Proudly Reveals Plans for its Beltline Location
- LibDib: Beer, Wine & Liquor Distribution, Done Differently
- Craft Beer Buyouts: A Conversation with Former Stone Brewing Brewmaster, Mitch Steele and the Brewers Association's Julia Herz:
- FIGUEROA MOUNTAIN BREWING CO. WINS GOLD IN 2016 WORLD BEER CUP
Login to post comments